Friday, April 20, 2012

Breakfast Pockets

Submitted by Chris Fowler

I tried a new recipe this month, because try as I might, I just have a hard time getting up and fixing my girls breakfast before seminary. It is on my bucket list, but I am not yet perfected enough to do that. So, in my quest for a pre-made breakfast that doesn't taste like cardboard I came across these beauties and figured they were worth a try.

So, I doubled the recipe making 32 of them, and they lasted a total of 4 days, max. The kids had them for breakfast, lunches, and dinner. And snacks. I knew I had found a winner. Now I just need a new hiding place so they don't disappear quite so fast.


From the kitchen of Budget Gourmet Mom. Recipe slightly adapted from Real Food 4 Real People

Ingredients

Dough
1 1/2 tbsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
3/4 cup evaporated milk (110 degrees)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour

Filling
1 lb bulk sausage
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen hashbrown potatoes, thawed
7 large eggs
3 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- pinch of cayenne pepper

Instructions

Dough
  1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in the water.
  2. Add milk, oil, sugar, egg, salt, and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth.
  3. Add enough flour until it makes a soft dough but do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Filling
  1. Cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until browned. Drain.
  2. Add the hashbrowns, eggs, milk, and spices. Cook and stir until set.
  3. Sprinkle with cheese and keep warm.

Assembling the pockets
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Punch down the dough and cut into 16 equal pieces.
  3. Roll each piece into 7 in circle on a floured surface. Top with 1/3 cup filling, fold, and pinch shut. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

To freeze
Allow to cool on the baking sheet. Once cooled, place in the freezer until frozen. Store in a ziploc bag in the freezer for 3-6 months. To reheat, place on a paper towel and microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.

Yield: 16 Breakfast Pockets

No comments:

Post a Comment